Blog Facelift

Third week in a row - CHECK!

I'm actually so proud of how well I've stuck to my New Year's Resolutions. Let's be real... we all start the new year with good intentions and plan to do all these life changing things and often times, our expectations are just too high. I did try and keep feasibility in mind and so far, so good!

Chauka is getting MUCH better at the table - point. I've stuck with my gym routine (am very sore but proud none the less) - point. And with this post I'm re-doing the blog - point. Can't remember if I listed that as a resolution in my New Year's Resolutions post however, it is a to-do item that's been on my list for some time.

Now I'd consider myself a pretty "tech savvy" individual however, Blogger, I  have some complaints. While most other functions and features of having my own blog are pretty user friendly, updating and personalizing the blog in cool ways has not been as easy as I thought it would be. I turned to my trusty friend Google for some how-to's and downloadable templates to try and give this blog more of a "Meghan" feel.

I still want to fix the pictures (so they don't look so massive, crammed into a tiny frame) but overall, I'm really happy with it. What do you all think??

In other weekly news, Justin and I went skiing for the first time together on Friday night! Justin's cousins Chantelle and McKenna came with us as well as little Ava - her first time on skis!


Sunday was a lazy day and the cold called for nice comfort food. For dinner we had my Chicken Pot Pie and Small Home Big Start's Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie (YUMMM!!!)


Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 6
Ingredients
1 cup chopped onions
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1.5 cup, peeled, cubed potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
1.5 cup chopped carrots
1 can mushroom soup (undiluted)
1.5 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 3 breasts)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper

Biscuit Crust
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup skim milk


Directions
Combine onions and garlic (with some butter) in a covered pot for 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth, potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium/low heat, partially cover and simmer for 12 minutes (potatoes should be slightly undercooked). Remove from heat.

In a small bowl stir together mushroom soup and flour. Add to vegetables along with chicken, basil, thyme, and pepper. Stir well. Pour into medium casserole dish.

In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, sage, and salt. Cut in butter until it resembles course crumbs. Stir in milk. Form ball with dough. Roll out on floured surface to fit top of casserole; prick all over with fork.

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Let cool 5 minutes.

Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie (adapted from this recipe)
Serves 6 (or more if you don't have massive pieces like us piggies)
Ingredients
1 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp hot water
Salt (to taste)*
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (I use a little less)
Pre-made graham cracker pie crust
Vanilla ice cream

*Because the dough is not baked for this recipe I didn't use the 1/2 tsp of salt this recipe normally calls for. Make the dough and taste (which is always the best part) before you add the salt.


Directions
Cream together butter, white, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water; add to batter. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.

Note: This batter recipe will make more than necessary to fill the pie crust. Unless you eat the remainder of the dough (before it even makes it to the crust... which definitely is possible - lets be real) - you can bake in the over at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cookies are brown.

Finally, I promise, a house update is coming soon (lots of action there)!! You can see dreams and ideas for decor and more by following me on Pintrest and I post pictures on Instagram (@meghanegaynor)

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment