Birthday and Pintrest

The Birthday was great but I cannot even explain how mad I am... I legitimately set a reminder on my phone to take pictures of the food.... hit dismiss about 1 hour before dinner and FORGOT completely. That's partly because the food was so delicious, but still - so so mad at myself.

Just so you can get a mental picture of what I got.... we started with saganaki and french onion soup to share, I got the veal Marsala, Justin got the veal Parmesan, and to finish we shared a slice of Carmel pecan cheesecake. In short, it was delicious and I was still full until about lunch time today.

We went to a local restaurant in our home town and their food is to DIE for. It is a husband and wife duo - he does all the cooking and she does all the baking. We also got one of her pumpkin cheesecakes for Thanksgiving weekend... literally not even a crumb left.

Breakfast post b-day was more primal friendly than it was challenge friendly. I had the most overwhelming craving for cereal so I had some organic granola, organic yogurt, grainless cereal (seeds and nuts in cinnamon), a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter.



Now technically peanuts are legumes and therefore, are not supposed to be consumed if living primally - BUT... to put it lightly, I LOVE peanut butter. To explain it more accurately, I think my life would be diminished if I had to give up peanut butter for good. I could eat peanut butter with just about anything. I'm not talking about Skippy or Jif - no no, the real deal. Peanuts and oil (crunchy preferably). Therefore, in my quest for primal eating I have agreed to give up peanuts but not peanut butter (this is an improvement as most of the bad stuff surrounding peanuts is eliminated in the process of turning peanuts into peanut butter).

NOW - onto the main point of this post... Pintrest. I both LOVE and HATE Pintrest. For example - I love it when it provides me cute decorating ideas and new outfits to try and I LOVE LOVE when I can spend hours fantasizing about wedding details. I hate when I spend hours torturing myself looking at baked goods, sweets, pasta and other delicious recipes and pictures that I shouldn't eat.

Today, some good did come from Pintrest however... in line with how much I LOVE Fall - there are always a couple of cans of pumpkin kicking around the house at Thanksgiving. This year, because I could not eat pie (which I did anyways...) or oatmeal (I love pumpkin stirred into my oatmeal right before serving) I was at a loss as to what to do with the can of pumpkin in the cupboard. Inspiration came in my house of perusing Pintrest!!! I found a paleo recipe for "Pumpkin Pucks". Basically little challenge friendly (for the most part) muffins with pumpkin in them!! While looking I also saw "Banana Pumpkin Pucks" but I'm not nearly as impressed with the banana ones.

So - seeing as this is a food blog and I've promised recipes (and pictures!!) here is my first attempt at Pumpkin Pucks tonight.

Pumpkin Pucks


Ingredients
1 cup pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup of almond butter
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 eggs
1/3 cup almond flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
Using an electric mixer, combine pumpkin and almond butter until thoroughly combined. Add honey and maple syrup then beat in eggs, one at a time. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 of the way (they wont rise but if they're too dense they will not cook properly). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.


Some observations on these ones...
- The mix may or may not have been so delicious that I licked the scraper and scoop after filling the tins...
- Was a true "muffin" batter consistency
- May try with peanut butter next time (see above)
- DELICIOUS



Banana Pumpkin Pucks


Ingredients
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 very ripe bananas (medium)
7 dates (pureed)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup coconut oil (liquified)
2/3 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
Combine wet ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Add dry ingredients to food processor and pulse until combined. Fill greased muffin tin 3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.

Some observations on these pucks...
- I don't know if it's my flour or what but I have not had luck when baking with coconut flour. The final result is very dry (as were these)
- My bananas were not ripe enough... I was expecting more of a banana bread flavour
- Not quite as sweet as the regular pumpkin pucks

If I were to make the banana ones again I would make sure I brown bananas (super ripe) and would try adding them to the original puck mixture - no more coconut flour for me for a while...

Only part I don't like about trying new things (while not having a functioning dishwasher)...


Soooooo much clean up. Also, Glee was not on so I did the dishes in silence - not a happy camper.

I think I will enjoy a paleo Pumpkin Puck (with some pb on it) with some eggs for breakfast. YUM

Oktoberfest festivities this weekend with friends from University - updates and pictures to come on that in another post!!

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. re: dry banana pumpkin pucks- coconut flour is incredibly high in protein, hence the dry result you got- you need to use eggs with coconut flour, almost always. I would sub out the apple sauce for 2 eggs (which will eliminate the dryness of the recipe, and make it more paleo!) Hope this helps, because coconut flour is awesome!

    ReplyDelete